Article IX: Board of Directors
A. The Board of Directors shall consist of the following:
- The President, ex officio, elected to a two-year term of office in odd numbered years;
- the Vice President, ex officio, elected to a two-year term of-office in odd numbered years;
- the Secretary, ex officio, elected to a two-year term of office in odd numbered years;
- the Treasurer, ex officio, elected to a two-year term of office in odd numbered years;
- twelve Directors, elected to a two-year term of office in even numbered years from within directorial districts as hereinafter defined.
B. All members of the Board of Directors shall be and remain currently paid up local, state, and national (active) members as a condition for nomination and election.
C. Members of the Board of Directors shall be elected by open nomination and secret ballot.
D. Vacancies in the position of members of the Board of Directors shall be deemed to exist in the case of death, resignation, or inability to serve in this position, a special election to fill the vacancy shall be held within thirty days as soon as practicable.
E. The Board of Directors shall meet before each regular meeting of the Representative Council and at such other times as the President may deem necessary, or upon written petition of a majority of the members of the Board of Directors.
F. Establishment of Directorial Districts:
- Directorial Districts shall be established within the following divisions by the Representative Council using criteria that the Representative Council may from time to time adopt:
- Senior High
- Special Services
- Directorial Districts shall be in compliance with one-person, one-vote standards verified as follows in January of even numbered years:
- The total number of active Association members shall be divided by twelve (12) to arrive at a base figure of members per Director.
- A similar computation shall be obtained for each division, that is, the number of members per director within each division.
- The figure for each divisional director shall be compared with the base figure to establish the percentage of deviation.
- The average percentage of deviation per divisional director shall be as equitable as possible.
G. Duties and Responsibilities
- recommend to Council all appointments of members of committees and the chairpersons of all standing committees;
- act upon recommendations of the Executive Director for employment or dismissal of Association staff;
- establish Standing Rules of procedure consistent with these bylaws for itself, the bargaining team and all committees;
- act upon all documents and instructions issued by or in the name of the Association and act upon all contracts to which the Association shall be a party;
- consider and recommend to Council approval of expenditures not provided for in the regular budget;
- administer and direct special funds of the Association;
- review the annual budget and recommend its approval to the Representative Council;
- annually authorize the Office Manager to co-sign checks drawn on the SBTA account;
- act as the UniServ Board;
- act as the Representative Council when the majority of schools is not in session;
- direct the grievance processing of the Association;
- direct the bargaining activities; recommend or remove Bargaining Team members in accordance with Article X of these Bylaws;
- exercise all the business and organizational powers and duties for the Association as prescribed by law in these bylaws;
- members of the Board of Directors shall be subject to attendance requirements as follows;
- In case of two (2) unexcused absences from regularly scheduled meetings during the school year, the seat of a member shall be declared vacant;
- A member of the Board of Directors shall be considered excused from the regular meetings because of personal illness of a family member, bereavement, legal responsibilities, personal necessity of an emergency nature, district on-site negotiated administrative requirements to attend school functions, one (1) off track vacation obligation or SBTA/CTA/NEA obligations.
- review the PAGE committee recommendations and forward them to the Representative Council with a recommendation of approve, disapprove, or no recommendation.
H. The quorum for all meetings of the Board of Directors shall consist of a majority of the Board.
I. Offices and Directors shall be installed at the May Representative Council meeting. Officers shall assume their respective officers and duties on July 1 of odd numbered years. Directors shall assume their respective offices and duties on July 1 of even numbered years.
J. The Board of Directors shall determine the number, place and time of SBTA Board meetings.